February 23 - 54/365

2/24/10

28-135mm lens @ 60mm, f/8.0, 1/50, ISO 200 w/fill flash

Do you remember that post I had about a week ago on photography books, and my lack of one that I felt suited my current needs? Well, I think I found the perfect one for my current skill level and for the direction I'd like to go. The book is by Bryan Peterson and is titled Understanding Photography Field Guide. The subtitle : "How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera." At first, that title made me laugh, as I'm sure you probably snickered or rolled your eyes. I have no doubt that lots of books promise that after you read them, you will be taking amazing and perfect photos. I have no such illusion, or would that be a delusion? Anyways, my goal is to learn how to utilize the available light around me; how to improve my composition; learn some fun and unconventional techniques, shown above; and one of the coolest chapters : how to know when and where to break the rules. I mean, how many teachers tell you to break the rules?

The author of this book talks to you like a friend would - knowledgeable, but not like a textbook or a manual. He describes things and even gives you little exercises. And have you seen the photos inside? Beautiful. Filled with emotion. I can only hope to get there someday. Looking at the photos alone gives me inspiration. It might not be the perfect book for everyone, but so far, I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to broaden their photography skills and gain some additional artistic perspective.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template The Beach by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP